MUNICIPAL FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PROTECTION OF PRIVACY ACT
The following information is a brief explanation of the process for submitting a Freedom of Information request to the St. Thomas Police Service. For more information, please refer to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Freedom of Information request forms are available online or at St. Thomas Police Service headquarters, 45 Caso Crossing, St. Thomas.
- Photo Identification be presented.
- A standard $5.00 application fee applies. Payment can be made using cash, Visa or debit card.
- Requests can be made for either personal or general information.
- Requests can take 30 – 90 days to process, as per Freedom of Information legislation.
- Further fees may apply (i.e. photocopying, search time, preparation time, dvd’s, etc).
- You have 30 days to pick up the documents once the file is completed; then it is closed.
Freedom of Information requests will ONLY be conducted during regular business hours, Monday through Friday – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The business office remains open during lunch hours.
** Please note that you are entitled to your OWN information only. The release of personal information of any other parties involved in the incident will be omitted unless you request the third party process, (see paragraph below for an explanation of this process) as contained in the Act, to be followed. Without the consent of the affected persons, all of their personal information (i.e. name, address, date of birth, statement, etc.) will be omitted from the released records. **
** Third Party Process – When a Freedom of Information application is made where the applicant is requesting personal details of another person, the third party process be done. This involves the St. Thomas Police Service trying to obtain consent from the affected parties in order for their information to be released to the applicant. Should we not receive consent; the information will be omitted from the documentation. **